8 Science-Backed Benefits of Infrared Saunas
Here is an in-depth article surrounding the science-backed benefits of infrared saunas, recommended use and additional articles for more information.
Originally published on faciallounge.com
Improve heart health and sleep, achieve clearer skin, reduce stress and fatigue, relieve pain from muscle aches and arthritis, detox the body AND burn calories? There isn’t much more any of us could ask for from a treatment….
Infrared saunas boast a long list of benefits begging the question, “Why doesn’t everyone have one of these??” For those who still need convincing here is an in-depth article surrounding the benefits of infrared saunas, recommended use and additional articles for more information.
BENEFITS OF INFRARED SAUNA
Benefits of regular use include the following. The full article will go more in-depth on each individual benefit as well as address the difference between standard saunas vs. infrared saunas and recommended use.
- RELAXATION/BETTER SLEEP
- IMPROVED MOOD AND COGNITIVE FUNCTION
- IMPROVED HEART HEALTH
- REDUCES INFLAMMATION/CHRONIC PAIN
- INCREASE METABOLISM/WEIGHT LOSS
- IMPROVED SKIN/CELLULITE REDUCTION
SAUNA VS. INFRARED SAUNA
Many may not realize there are several different types of saunas available:
- Dry Saunas – heated with electricity, fire, gas, hot stones, etc
- Steam Saunas – where water is poured over a hot object creating both heat and steam
- Near Infrared Saunas – Higher frequency red light and near infrared light (0.8 – 1.5 µm) is used to heat the body from the inside out
- Far Infrared Saunas (FIR) – Far-infrared light (5.6–1000 µm) is used to heat the body from the inside out
- Full Spectrum Saunas – Saunas that utilize near, mid and far infrared wavelengths.
As a group, infrared saunas utilize red light frequencies to first heat the body and then heat the surrounding room. Because infrared saunas use these red light frequencies the temperature of the actual room is much more bearable for most people. The infrared light is also able to penetrate the body on a much deeper level resulting in a host of amazing benefits.
Near infrared saunas increase mitochondria function, which in turn stimulates increase ATP production (cellular energy), reduces oxidative stress, inflammation and stimulates the healing process within cells. They are able to penetrate the body on the deepest level of all saunas
Far infrared saunas function by exciting the water molecules within the body, which can also stimulate mitochondria activity.