These vegan waffles are light and fluffy with just the right amount of chocolate. Sometimes you just need a nice fluffy waffle on a cozy morning to go with your coffee.
I love these because they are just chocolate-y enough to make your taste buds dance, but not so sweet that they leave you feeling sick to your stomach afterwards.
As a plus, they are full of healthy ingredients like banana, chia seeds, coconut oil and oat milk! We top them with any variety of fun treats, but our favorites include: hazelnuts, pecans, banana, and coconut shreds.
You can easily make these gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour or gluten-free flour mix. I have had the best luck using buckwheat or chickpea flour. The buckwheat flour in particular is one of my favorites and still makes fluffy and moist pancakes. Check out my vegan and gluten-free pancakes here!
vegan waffles – Shop the Ingredients!
P.S. My Favorite waffle maker
This is my absolute favorite waffle maker. Non-stick, so easy and it has an overflow catch in case the batter spills out that actually cooks the spilled batter so that there is virtually no clean up.
I turn it on to heat up while I am making the batter. Once I start making the waffles I lightly spray it with coconut oil before each batch. I love how easy it is to use, clean and store.
Vegan Spelt Cocoa Waffles
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 0.5 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 ripe banana
- 1.4 cup plant-based milk (I prefer oat milk)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup agave syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
- maple syrup
- In a medium sized bowl, mix all dry ingredients together: flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla powder.
- In another bowl, mash the banana thoroughly with fork. Add plant-based milk, chia seeds, coconut oil and agave syrup and mix well. Let mixture stand for 3 minutes.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients in to one bowl and mix well. Place waffle mixture in the fridge for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Ladle into pre-heated waffle iron according to iron instructions or until crispy.
- Dress with favorite toppings and serve!
Find more holistic recipes like this on my recipes page!