Before I switched over to a whole-foods, plant-based diet I was a die-hard egg lover. I had eggs every single day without fail and when I was considering changing my diet I thought giving up eggs would be the hardest part. In the end, I felt so much better physically after giving up meats and dairy that it was worth it either way, but recipes like this certainly helped make the transition easier!
Vegan/Gluten-Free Chickpea Frittata
- 1.5 cup chickpea flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1.5 cup water
- 1-2 cups chopped vegetables of choice (my faves are mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers)
- 1-2 tbsps oil of choice to cook vegetables
- 1 handful baby spinach (or other fresh greens of choice)
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro for topping
- 1 full avocado diced for topping
- drizzle hot sauce
- handful vegan cheese
- Pre-heat over to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpea flour, salt, baking powder, turmeric, oregano and water. Mix until lump-free. Set aside.
- Heat oil in frying pan at medium heat then add chopped vegetables and spinach. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until almost soft.
- Pour chickpea batter on top of vegetables and mix gently to evenly distribute vegetables.
- Cook for about 10 minutes. You should see bubbles and edges of the frittata will harden. If, after 10 minutes, the edges are not slightly hard continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- With an oven mit, place entire frying pan into the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until you see the batter has completely solidified on the top.
- Remove and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve with toppings of choice!